Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cavatina by Nicanor Abelardo

The violin being of Western origin, I have mistakenly assumed that this great instrument can only be played with music created by Western composers. However, during my quest in creating my "future repertoire" of songs, I came across this great video.



My ignorance of our own cultural music has made me forget our very own Nicanor Abelardo. I remember listening to his compositions as a child while my father tunes to a classical radio station. However, most of Nicanor Abelardo's music played in the radio were either kundiman (opera-style classical Filipino love song) or for the piano. Admittedly, this is the first time I heard his composition played with the violin.


If you know the story of the song, feel free to share it.  (Violinist: Joseph Esmilla)

No comments:

Post a Comment